[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re[2]: use of RSA outside US

At 3:59 PM on 3/30/95, "david d `zoo' zuhn" <zoo@armadillo.com> replied
to my (Tom Zmudzinski <zmudzint@cc.ims.disa.mil>) 9:04 AM posting:
> //  I'm not a lawyer (my parents are married), but I have to wonder if
> //  your "someone" (as he/she is supposedly the only one of you within
> //  the jurisdiction of US courts) could be charged with conspiracy to
> //  commit a felony, i.e., circumventing the US export control laws.
>
> There can be no conspiracy to commit a crime that didn't exist.  Export
> control laws say *nothing* about importing crypto code into the USA.

  Ah, but the net effect is exporting, not importing, cryptography that
  is controlled as a "munition".  (For a real shaggy dawg on this topic,
  check Risks 17.73 for Matt Blaze's 6 Jan 95 posting "My life as an
  international arms courier".)  IMHO, history shows us that this
  blockade is doomed to failure, but that doesn't mean that the Old
  Guard isn't going to try ("those who do not learn from history are
  doomed to repeat it").

  Of course there's another aspect to this: If Jonathon Tidswell lives
  in one of those countries that outlaw all private cryptography unless
  the local police-state has a copy of the keys (France & England head
  this list BTW), he's breaking _local_ law if he ever uses his new toy.

  /z/

  DISCLAIMER: If any clause, sentence, paragraph, or section of
  this message shall be held to be invalid, unconstitutional,
  inoperative, or just plain stupid, it shall not be deemed to
  affect the validity, constitutionality, operability, or obvious
  brilliance of any of the remaining parts of this message.